E-mail Update on Golf Tournament Prizes and Sponsors
Alumni, Students, Faculty, and Friends
We have determined that the best option for our golf tournament is to move the event to Friday, October 23 (our originally planned rain date). This is the Friday before the home Florida football game. (The current rain forecast for tomorrow in Starkville is 80%.) All tournament details will remain the same.
All of our sponsors will hopefully have no problem with this date changing. I will contact the food and beverage donors today to confirm the new date. We also hope that none of the players will have to cancel. However, if anyone cannot attend on October 23, we'll refund any registration fees. We'll also try to contact all registered players today to update, but please forward the information to anyone you know involved or interested.
Some advantages of postponing the tournament include having the opportunity to
- encourage more golfers to play
- contact additional organizations to sponsor the tournament
- call on more individuals or businesses to provide prizes
Please spread the word about this extension as well. As always, please let us know if there are any questions or suggestions. I've listed again the updated list of sponsors and prizes in the new e-mail below.
Updated Original Email
Communication Alumni, Students, Faculty, and Friends :
Thanks to so many of you for supporting our Third Annual Communication Scholarship Golf Tournament by registering to play and/or sponsor. We are now scheduled for a 1 p.m. tee off Friday, October 23, at the MSU Golf Course. Our committee has been very successful so far, as you will see below by the lists of sponsors and prizes. However, we would still love to have more sponsors and teams. More details are available on our home page.
Players need to arrive by 11:30 a.m. on tournament day to enjoy The Little Dooey Barbecue and drinks from Coca-Cola. We’ll also have range balls available for all players and putting and chipping contests that are included with the player registration. In addition, participants can register for a special extra putting contest where players can pay $5 for one 60-foot putt or $10 for three attempts. The one player with the closest putt will earn a chance at the conclusion of the tournament to make a 60-foot putt from a different angle for $5,000.
Players will also have a chance on two separate par-3 holes to win special prizes. Columbus Nissan has provided a car for the first hole-in-one shot on one hole, and LogoStoreUSA will give one player $1,000 worth of Cutter and Buck merchandise for the first ace on a different hole.
Please click on http://mymedia.msstate.edu/viewer.php?mid=12074 to see the TV commercial on our site that was produced by WCBI TV and has been running over the past several weeks on various channels. (This will be updated in the next day or two.) We also have a brand new TV show, Communication Connection, that is now posted on our website at http://mymedia.msstate.edu/viewer.php?mid=12409 and will begin running soon on local cable channels and elsewhere. In this episode we discuss the department overall and also highlight many benefits of the golf tournament.
We ran an ad in the Reflector on Friday and the Starkville Daily News on Saturday that many of you may have seen. We may be running a few additional ads over the next two weeks. We'll also be updating our website and other information today and tomorrow.
I’ve listed below the current sponsors (with room for more).
- MSU Phi Delta Theta Fraternity
- MSU Academic Outreach and Continuing Education
- Dr. David Allen Chiropractic Clinic
- Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Northeast Mississippi
- Eat With Us Group
- Dr. Wesley Ferguson Dental Clinic
- Hederman Brothers Printing
- The Little Dooey
- MSU Department of Communication
- MSU Department of Geosciences
- Rick’s Café
- Starkville Computers
- State Farm - Frank Chiles
- Team Chevrolet
- U-Save Car and Truck Rental
- WCBI TV, myMS, North Mississippi The CW
- Weatherall Printing
- MSU Golf Course - 4 Cobra Drivers, 4 Cobra Fairway Woods, 4 Pair of Footjoy Shoes, 4 Cleveland Putters, Golf Cart Fees
- Nike - 1 Travel Bag, 1 Backpack, 4 Shirts, 3 Caps, 1 Pullover
- MSU Riley Center - Tickets to Four Freshmen and Barrage
- Citizen's Bank - $50 Savings Bond
- Jim’s Clothing - $40 Gift Certificate
- The Flower Company - $40 Gift Certificate
- Arbonne - Men's Skin Care Products
- Geiger Printing - Gift Package
- Starkville Country Club - 2 Greens Fees
- R & M Tires - Oil Change and Tire Rotation
- Gateway Tire - Oil Change and Tire Rotation
- Cadence Bank - Bags and Tees
Please feel free to contact me at any time with questions or comments.
Thanks again for your support.
Dr. John E. Forde, APR
Associate Professor and Head
Department of Communication
P.O. Box PF
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Twitter - JohnEFordeAPR