Awards & Honors
Communication students win national honors in NBS competition
MSU Communication students won eight grand prize awards, six honorable mentions, and two special recognition/honorable mentions in the National Broadcasting Society annual competition.
More than two dozen MSU students were national finalists in 16 categories. The Department of Communication pursued major initiative to increase its student excellence in national competitions. The 16 categories with nearly 30 students represent a significant improvement over last year’s five categories. The students placed in a wide variety of categories from radio, tv or web news, website to commercial, comedy segments and script, music video to short film.
According to Dr. Terry Likes, Head of the Department of Communication, “The categories represent student work across a variety of disciplines including Journalism, Public Relations, Broadcasting, Theatre and more including our academic partners at WMSV-FM, the Reflector and the interdisciplinary Film Minor. The faculty are working hard to provide students wonderful opportunities to showcase their work. We are proud that the output of faculty and students is recognized at a national level.”
The list of MSU winners includes:
The winners, released at the March 27 NBS annual conference, are broken down by Grand Prize, Honorable Mention and Special Recognition/Honorable Mention. MSU’s breakdown totals are below.
Grand Prize = 8
Honorable Mention = 6
SR-HM Special Recognition/Honorable Mention = 2
Grand Prize Winners:
- Hannah Vanderberg, Audio News Package, COVID Effects on Livestock
- Bronson Woodruff, Audio Feature Package, COVID Effects on Church
- Bronson Woodruff, Audio Feature Segment, Handicapped Pet
- Kamien Bell, Video News Promo, Take 30 News Promo
- Amari Collins, Kelsey Duncan, & Jeremy Hinds, Video Commercial, Hotworx
- Jeremy Hinds, Music Video, Doughboi Pacino - Pray for the City
- Jeremiah Joswick, Jon Tackett, Hannah Vandie, Chris LoNigro, & Carra Faith Spencer, Short Film, Five Minutes
- Brandon Grisham & Reflector staff, Website, The Reflector
- Hannah Vanderberg, Audio News Segment, Bullying
- Kelsey Duncan, Audio News Segment, COVID Job Fears
- Hannah Vanderberg, Video News Package, Horse Therapy
- Riley Stephens, Dylan Bufkin, Rosalind Hutton, Devin Byrd, & Brandon Grisham, Web News Article, The Reflector “How to make”
- Eryk Yunk, Video Comedy Segment, Eryk’s Final Project
- Taylor Barr, Cameron Ladner, Keegan Lindsey, & Brandon Grisham, Video Comedy Program, Lab Rats “The Sitcom”
Special Recognition/Honorable Mentions:
- Sarah Morgan Johnson, Video Studio or Live Performance Segment, Singer, Songwriter, Rapper & Poet Wesley Thomas performs for The Reflector
- Taylor Barr, Cameron Ladner & Keegan Lindsey, Comedy Program Script, Lab Rats “Chris has a gun”
The purpose of the National Broadcasting Society is to enhance the development of college and university students and entry-level professionals involved in electronic media by promoting excellence, providing exposure to the electronic media industries and assistance in career preparation.
To see the full results, visit