I'm Interested in an Internship
Interested in an internship but need help navigating the options? Browse the information below to get started. For current internship opportunities visit our social media platforms. For internship opportunities our program has a relationship with or that previous students have completed, please visit the Internship Opportunities link below.
Department of Communication
Request to take CO 4053
If you have an internship and are interested in getting course credit for it request to take CO 4053 below. Also learn about the two options available to document an internship on your transcript.
CO 4053 Requirements
In order to take CO 4053, a student must:
- Be a communication major
- Have a minimum 2.8 GPA
- Have completed 60 hours of course work at time of internship (junior or senior standing)
- Have taken introductory classes in his/her concentration
- Have an approved internship in his/her concentration
- Work a minimum of 120 hours at the internship during the semester enrolled
In order for an internship to meet CO 4053 requirements, supervisors must:
- Provide 120+ hours of meaningful work experience in the student's field of study
- Not be a relative of the student
- Have professional experience, training, or education in the student's field of study or closely related field
- Be available to the student at regular intervals to provide meaningful oversight, feedback, and guidance to the intern
- Complete an electronic agreement form at the start of the semester to verify the internship
- Complete an end of semester evaluation of the student that will factor into his/her final grade in the course
Our department offers an opportunity for students interning outside of the Starkville area to earn an Internship Scholarship. Former Communication instructor Lora Defore served as our Internship Coordinator for many years, and her family continues to honor her legacy in our department by funding an Internship Scholarship fund.